Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a 19 year old who is not currently a student. Can my parents claim me as a dependent?

I’ve been told my parents can’t claim me because I’m not a student but am unsure since I am under 24.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I am a 19 year old who is not currently a student. Can my parents claim me as a dependent?

If you are age 19 or older and not a full time student under the age of 24 and have gross income of $4,300 or more in 2021 then no one can claim you as a dependent.

Zylacia

Yes, your parents can claim you as a dependent if they are providing more than half your support.  In other words, if you are still living with your parents and they are providing for you, meaning that they are supporting you, i.e., providing shelter, food, clothes, etc., then they can definitely claim you; however, if you file on your own and check the box that states no one can claim you as a dependent, then your parents will not be able to claim you on their tax return.   Hopefully, this helps.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies