turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crysta511

I already paid taxes on my 2020 unemployment income, but now the first 10200 is not taxable. Will I get a refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I already paid taxes on my 2020 unemployment income, but now the first 10200 is not taxable. Will I get a refund?

No legislation has been passed and nothing has been signed by the President to change the tax code.

When and if this legislation actually changes the tax code the IRS will write the rules and the procedures and post those on the IRS website.

Correct.  At this point, it is just under discussion.

I'm pretty sure this will not be retroactive. It applies to UI payments to you in 2021. UI will be extended to September.

The change applies to tax year 2020, not tax year 2021.

Once the President signs the law, the IRS must develop procedures to implement it. Then TT has to program, test and get the IRS to approve its programming.  All that may take time.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

The details of how this will work have not been sorted out yet. Here is a blog from TurboTax that will be updated with the latest news.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies