turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I did not file any taxes for a previous year can I file my 1098-T forms for those years?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
Ashby

If I did not file any taxes for a previous year can I file my 1098-T forms for those years?

You can file older year returns if you did not file for those years. And, you could amend your returns if you did file.

The thing is that my university just issued them to me. I cannot include them into my 2018 files?
Ashby

I actually misunderstood your initial question. I apologize, you can file older year returns if you did not file for those years. And, you could amend your returns if you did file.

Oh no worries at all! So, do I just amend the ones for this year and file those forms? I have my 1098-T from 2016 and 2017.
Ashby

Not exactly - You will amend 2018 to include the 2018 form.
Ashby

If you filed for 2016 or 2017, you will need to amend each one of those to include the year-appropriate form.
Ashby

If you have not filed for those years, you can just file an original return for those years.

Okay perfect, so just start a new file for those years. How can I do that?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies