Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How will PPI appear on 1040 if I listed myself (spouse) first in the personal section of TT?

Spoiler
Hi,

I entered my name, SSN first in the personal section of TT and my husband second (I am preparing the taxes).  BUT, all prior tax returns list my husbands information first, and me as the spouse. Do I need to change this in TT to ensure he appears first on the 1040? The IRS will expect his name & SSN first. I tried to change it in TT but I still appear first

Thanks

D

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

How will PPI appear on 1040 if I listed myself (spouse) first in the personal section of TT?

If you transferred your 2021 return in to the 2022 software, then changing the order of your names will create problems.   Further.....the IRS likes consistency---so if your spouse was the first name listed on past joint returns, it would be better to keep it that way.   Not sure how far you have gone so far, but you have to keep the income information, etc. with the correct name.  Each income screen has a spot with each spouse's name.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Unfortunately I have gone far - into deductions and credits.

I do not have 2021 in TT.

Surely there must be a way? I can go into the different sections and assigned the interest income (for ex) to the right party - 

any other advice u can give me?

There is no easy way.   Either leave it alone and just live with the fact that you changed the order of the names this year, or clear and start over---or you will have a mess.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

do I have ti delete it and create a new 2022 MFJ return?

clearing and reentering doesnt seem to work....

TY

I dont see an option to delete.  By "clearing" - do you mean go into each screen and clear out entries and then save an "empty" return?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

There is an ability to Clear & Start Over under Tax Tools down the left side of the screen in TurboTax Online.

However, you may not be able to Clear and start over after you have registered your account.

See also this TurboTax Best Answer.

@Mitzy20 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Mitzy20 We cannot tell if you are using the CD/download or the online program.   The "clear and start over" command only works in online.    If you are using the CD.download you just go to File and choose "New Return" in order to start over.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies