turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oct 16 is the IRS deadline–file confidently with expert help. File Now
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to report income from being a direct sales consultant?

I made less than $600, so I don't get a 1099 but I've been told I need to report all income. Where do I report this? I'm also pretty sure I've spent more than I've made in business expenses.
1 Reply

How to report income from being a direct sales consultant?

First of all, for Online versions you will need to use Home & Business.  But you might be able to use a lower version.   If you buy the Desktop CD or Download Software any version will handle it but you will get more help in Home & Business.

For the Online Deluxe and Premier (you can't use Free)...........You start out by filling out a 1099Misc even if you didn't get one.
Federal Taxes Tab
Wages & Income
Choose Jump to Full List -or  I'll choose what I work on
Then under 1099Misc and Other Common Income
Income from form 1099-MISC

Enter your income by filling out the 1099Misc form.  If you didn't get a 1099Misc form then put a single dollar $1 in box 7 for Non Employee Comp.  Then continue on though all the screens and after about 8 screens  you will get to a screen for any Cash Income or Other Income and enter the amount.

Then continue on and you will be able to enter expenses.  You can use Deluxe or Premier if you have very limited expenses such as supplies less than $100.   If you have more complex situations and/or higher expense amounts you will have to upgrade to the Home and Business product to fill out the full schedule C.

OR There is also The Turbo Tax Freedom website  which is free for federal and state.  And has more forms than the Federal Free Edition, like the full 1040 return and Schedules A, B, C , D, E, F, EIC, H, K-1, SE,  etc.

To qualify for the Tax Freedom website  you just need to meet one of these 3 things
AGI $31,000 or less
Active duty military with AGI of $62,000 or less
OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

In order to use the Tax Freedom Edition, you have to start it at a special website:
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies