Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter Canada NR4 (Income code 11) into US tax return?

Have a Canada NR4 with values in both line 1 and line 2.  Line 2 doesn't have any non-resident tax withheld and has exemption code = S.    Line 1 does have have non-resident tax withheld.  Both lines 1 and 2 have some gross income.  How to enter either of the lines into US 1040 tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Enter your Canada NR4 (Income code 11) income in the section for US Social Security.

1. Type ssa-1099 in Search in the top right
  2. Select Jump to ssa-1099

See @PatriciaR’s answer at How do I file NR4 (CAD) with income code of 11 for US taxes?

Enter your withholding as a foreign tax credit or deduction.

1. Type foreign tax credit in Search in the top right
  2. Select Jump to foreign tax credit

Where do I enter the foreign tax credit (Form 1116) or deduction?

Thank you @SundayInSalem .  Where I'm confused is that BOTH Line 1 and Line 2 have a non-zero Gross Incomes on the NR4, but Line 2 doesn't have any non-resident tax witheld and has an Exemption Code = S.  Do I still need to report BOTH Line 1 and Line 2 on US income tax return, or just Line 1 ?

I checked on https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4061/nr4-non-resid..., and the definition of Exemption Code "S" is a bit unclear to me:

• Other exempting provisions – Income Tax Act: Exemption from withholding tax as a result of other exempting provisions in the Income Tax Act, other than those given above in code G, M through P, R, and U.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies