Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to claim a capital loss from a venture-related investment in a PRIVATE business that is in Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Any of the TurboTax experts know how to claim a capital loss from a venture-related investment in a PRIVATE business that is in Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to claim a capital loss from a venture-related investment in a PRIVATE business that is in Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Since the loss was on preferred stock for a private company with no 1099-B issued, I created a 1099-B entry with "no brokerage statement" for the sales, the choice "not reported to IRS", entered the cost basis(my investment), final value ($0) as the proceeds, and the date of bankruptcy filing as the sales date.  I also selected "long-term" as the box F holding period.  I filled in no other fields nor selected any boxes for the following screens. 

Federal return was accepted.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Note that I do NOT have, nor will I have a 1099-B from this private company.

All I have is the recent bankruptcy filing and my original stock shares statement.

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

You can deduct worthless stock or a worthless investment only in the tax year it becomes completely worthless. This normally happens when the corporation files for bankruptcy, stops doing business, and has no assets.

1. Enter a worthless investment with a sales price of zero and the word "worthless" in its description. 
  2. Enter the correct cost or basis, date acquired, and December 31 as the date sold.

This is entered in the investment section of TurboTax. Capital gains, losses, and 1099-B forms are all entered in the same place:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax
  2. Search for investment sales and then select the Jump to link in the search results
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you have investment income in 2022?
    • If you land on the Your investments and savings screen, select Add investments
  4. On the Let's import your tax info screen, select Enter a different way.
  5. On the OK, let's start with one investment type screen, select Other (land, second home, personal items) 1099-S and Continue.
  6. Continue through the screens to enter your investment and we'll calculate the gain or loss from the sale

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Since the loss was on preferred stock for a private company with no 1099-B issued, I created a 1099-B entry with "no brokerage statement" for the sales, the choice "not reported to IRS", entered the cost basis(my investment), final value ($0) as the proceeds, and the date of bankruptcy filing as the sales date.  I also selected "long-term" as the box F holding period.  I filled in no other fields nor selected any boxes for the following screens. 

Federal return was accepted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies