Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How much does equipment have to cost to cause it to be capitalized and depreciated over time?

My business is selling my photographs. If I buy a lens or camera or computer (for editing), how much does it have to cost to become an item that has to be depreciated? Over how many years? For instance, I bought a lens for $2000. Is it a business expenses or capital expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Tiki

How much does equipment have to cost to cause it to be capitalized and depreciated over time?

There is not a minimum amount for depreciating the expense. For items such as the purchase of the lens, you would consider it a capital expense and use a 179 deduction to depreciate the asset during the first year. 

Please be advised: If you chose not to take the full Section 179 deduction, you may be able to take a one-time special allowance depreciation. After entering the percentage of the 179 deductions, the system will move you to the special allowance depreciation option. Please note that not every state follows the federal rules for depreciation.

For more information on the 179 Deduction, please visit the link below.

http://www.section179.org/section_179_deduction.html

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Tiki

There is not a minimum amount for depreciating the expense. For items such as the purchase of the lens, you would consider it a capital expense and use a 179 deduction to depreciate the asset during the first year. 

Please be advised: If you chose not to take the full Section 179 deduction, you may be able to take a one-time special allowance depreciation. After entering the percentage of the 179 deductions, the system will move you to the special allowance depreciation option. Please note that not every state follows the federal rules for depreciation.

For more information on the 179 Deduction, please visit the link below.

http://www.section179.org/section_179_deduction.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies