How is line 56 on the tax form calculated? Is this a box that I am to fill in, or is it automatically calculated by the software?

Line 56 for which form or schedule, federal or state?
There is not a Line 56 on IRS Form 1040 for tax year 2018 or on any of the 1040 supporting schedules.

This is for the year 2016

2016 line 56 is simply line 55 (total credits) subtracted from line 47 (that is the total for lines 44-46).    That is all calculated by the software.

One more question - where do the totals for lines 55, 47, 45, and 46, Are those taken from the W2?

The totals are everything you report on the tax return.

Who do I contact if I have specific questions on how my 2016 taxes were entered/calculated?

I am trying to find out how the number 44 was calculated on my taxes - trying to determine if I entered the values for the return or if I had the w2 imported.

Only you would know what you entered.  You can call customer support but they cannot see a 2016 tax return.

Here is a TurboTax FAQ for contacting customer support.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number">https://ttlc.intuit.com...>

Line 44 is the tax on line 43.   The smart worksheet between line 43 & 44 shows what method was used to calculate the tax.  Usually it is just the amount from the tax tables but it could be other methods depending on what else was protected on the tax return.  You need to look at the print out of your 2016 tax file tee see that.

You must print all forms and worksheets to see the wages worksheet.    TurboTax does not have a copy of the W-2, only the information from it.   There is not way to know if you entered it or importer it.     

Are you trying to do this manually?

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040gi--2016.pdf

I cannot find this either.