Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I successfully import my E*trade brokerage account data in Turbotax Home & Business 2020?

I think the problem this year is that E*Trade merged with Morgan Stanley, and all E*Trade Bank accounts are now held at Morgan Stanley. That's probably why E*Trade Bank does not show up in the list of institutions. I ended up entering my stock sales manually. It's not too bad IMO, as long as you know how to adjust cost basis you can just enter the stock sales line by line. 

How do I successfully import my E*trade brokerage account data in Turbotax Home & Business 2020?

I was able to import e*Trade securities this year.  But I made my eTrade password very simple before I did, because it kept failing before the change.  Not sure if there is a password limitation issue, but mostly I wanted to avoid having to type in exactly a randomly generated large password.  Wish TurboTax would let you paste passwords in ...

As far as i know you can’t download E-trade data until the end of February. This is my experience before when I file on February 20, 2022, but E-trade wasn’t ready to Turbo Tax until I bumped by the end of February which February 28, 2022. E-Trade should coordinate with Turbo Tax  in the beginning of February, so that many people can file their return early. Import data from E-Trade supposedly done before February 15 each calendar year. But for 2021-2022 was late. If you have 3000 transaction, you will takes a week or more to do manual entries. That’s ridiculous. 

I had to re-learn Turbotax's password character limitation again the year, 2023.  My broker allows 20 characters in  the password, Turbotax has some limit of 16 or less.  Too bad Turbotax does not allow pasting the password from a password manager.  When the password was changed to 12 characters it was accepted.

Ted0
Level 1

@RoblAt  are you saying you were able to import from E*Trade into TurboTax 2022??

I've been trying for days now. Initially TurboTax was saying that it won't do it until Feb 11th. Then on Feb 11th it said to come back on February 13th at 10am PST. From that point on I've gotten a few different messages.

One was that there are no tax forms available for this user. Another was the same as the original poster "There isn't any tax related info to import".

At one point I intentionally entered incorrect user/password combination and it returned the same message, which makes me think that TurboTax is not even trying to connect to E*Trade.

Also, there is no other selection than "E*Trade Securities" in the Financial Institution list.

I am very disappointed as this has wasted a lot of time my time and there is no resolution in sight.

Entering a summary and mailing additional documents creates even more work. Not to mention that some transactions on the 1099-B from e-trade are missing a cost basis and have to be corrected.

So far, I can't import from any broker. I finally got Edward Jones to work but Etrade and Apex don't work. This is impossible. 

I had two different procedures for importing my 1099's with Turbotax Premier.

1.  When you try to into import your 1099's via Turbotax are you getting any feedback from the financial site or from Turbotax.  I had two situations, Turbotax kept indicating that either my login name or password was wrong, even though they were correct.  When I shortened my password to 12 characters, I got no Turbotax error messages and the 1099's were imported.  Earlier I got messages that the files simply weren't ready, but they gave an estimated date, which they extended.  That was with Wells Fargo Advisors. 

2. With Vanguard, Turbotax didn't ask for login name or password, they asked for account number and an account key.  That 1099 imported with no problem.

If you are  not getting any feedback via Turbotax at the import page, it's really hard to point to whose at fault.  Are you really using the 2020 edition?  That might be a problem.

No, I didn't try to import from E*trade.  I imported from both Vanguard and Wells Fargo Advisors.  From Wells Fargo, I go similar messages. The gave dates when the files were to be ready, which they extended.  I also got the "no files available"  or something like that, but after about two weeks the 1099's finally appeared.  It's still pretty early, the fund managers have a due date for the 1099's, but the brokers also take time to assemble the complete 1099, so you won't get it until all the companies in your portfolio have issued their 1099's and sometime they don't meet their deadline.  Since you are getting some feedback from the broker, it sounds like they just aren't ready to provide the 1099's.

Ted0
Level 1

UPDATE - I was able to import from E*Trade into TurboTax this morning.

There was a software update, not sure if it had something to do with it.

I also received a second e-mail from E*Trade indicating tax forms were ready. The first e-mail came in on Feb 11.

My guess is that E*Trade didn't actually have the forms ready for TurboTax until today.

Anyway, I am glad it worked for me. And hopefully it works for everyone else.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

We were informed this morning that the E-Trade Imports should be working now. Glad that it worked for you and thanks for the update @Ted0 .

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

As of today, Feb 18, 2023, TurboTax still gives me this error below and the only option I have is E*TRADE Securities. Please help.

That didn’t work. Try signing in again. (103) 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions here to manually update the software if using the desktop version. 

Also, you may want to try changing your password on the E*Trade website, as sometimes a new password will work better. @taxor23

An agent from Etrade and I have changed the password 3 times and I also tried different browser but still got the same message. I've also called in and escalated to talk to 3 different TurboTax "experts" but they could not figure it out. Could you please elaborate on the findings in the recent fixes? What did the team find and change that seemed to resolve the issue for some users?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried using another browser? 

if you are still having trouble, please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support for assistance. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@taxor23 

Hi Michelle, I did say I tried different browser and contacted customer support multiple times in previous message so I don't know what to say here?

Can someone please at least let us know if the issue is being fixed?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies