turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I stop TurboTax from requiring an update and a restart every time I start TurboTax and open my return even though I just closed it? Happened >5 times in a row.

Excellent. It is said that we have to disable the updates from the Updater, but nobody says how to open the updater. neither ChatGPT does not know. ChatGPT it was more intelligent a few monts ago, now is the same stupid soft like the Virtual Assistent that increase my blood pressure when I call a bank.😊

PFSlow
Returning Member

How do I stop TurboTax from requiring an update and a restart every time I start TurboTax and open my return even though I just closed it? Happened >5 times in a row.

TurboTax is not the only app where the auto-update doesn't work as it should. I don't know why nor do I care.

Normally, when that happens, you can just download and install the latest version. TurboTax has a way to force the app to update by pressing the Option key on a Mac. This works.

Why anyone would expect AI to know this is beyond me. Again, not my issue.

@Constantins   You can only disable the Updates in the Windows version.  As soon as I install the Windows Desktop program and it updates the first time then I go to Online-Updater Preferences and select Ask me before getting updates.

In the Mac program updates are automatic when you open the program.  I think you can first turn off your internet or wifi so it won't check.  

Here's a screen shot from my Windows Home &  Business version

Update.jpg

Now that I am aware of it, the solution is simple. After you open the first time your version (I have  H@B) go to online tab and make the proper selection to remove the automatic update. Already several people helped me with several solution, included shutting down the network. Finally even ChatGPT, confirmed us our solution (after of course reading our chats 😊 ). Thank you to everybody that helped with the issue. I have Windows (another junk that tries to make me to think with the finger and by now my finger is not smart at all)), I am not an Apple fan., they charge a lot for nothing, and now the others in the Windows world started to charge  an arm and a leg for a computers which basically are made in the same places, somewhere in China.

Because AI is smarter than us, isn't it? 😊 Anyway, it was smarter some times ago, now returned to normal intelligence (the power of global thinking, 😊 ).

Thank you volvogirl, you would have saved a lot of my time (Yesterday I did not know that for California it is another extension until Nov 16,  and I was working against the clock), and what is the worst I payed my taxes one month in advance.😊.

Thank you again.

Well you can only efile from Turbo Tax until Oct. 16, 2023 even if the IRS and Calif gives you until Nov 16.  After Oct. 16, 2023 you have to print and mail your return.  What did you pay a month in advance?  The Turbo Tax fees or a tax due?  

Thank you, very helpful. 

I payed all the fee to TT, Tax Audit, and of course ther biggest was the tax due.

Thank you again, and I have a question. If I knew about that extension to Nov 16, I could still be used to do those taxes? For example if I want to amend the 2022 taxes after Oct 16, TT will work?

PFSlow
Returning Member

Taxpayers with refunds coming can file late without penalties as long as they don't miss it by too much. There is one catch: Neither the Feds nor the State of CA allow you to file electronically after the extension deadline—you have to apply postage and mail it in. This delays your refund, of course, but you will still get it. I know this first hand.

If you owe 2022 taxes, the payment deadline was April 18, 2022 even if you filed an extension. The Federal extension was October 16, 2023. California moved their filing deadline to November 16, 2023.

Turbotax has never calculated the late payment fine correctly but it isn't all that big and depends on when you actually file past the April date and how much you still owe. Don't worry, both the Fed and State will send you a bill if you didn't pay enough. Again, I know this first hand.

Of course, you can use TurboTax to amend your returns up to the time the law allows (3 years, last I checked but I could be wrong). Again, you will need to put postage on it and send it via the mail. 

@PFSlow  Turbo Tax never calculates a late payment penalty or interest.  It only calculates the estimated underpayment penalty.   It's a penalty if you owe too much or for not paying in enough withholding during the year or not paying in evenly.  It's very common and normal and expected for the IRS or state to bill you for more or send you a refund.

You might be able to eliminate it or at least reduce it.  You can go to Federal Taxes tab or Personal tab, under Other Tax Situations and select Start by the Underpayment Penalties. You will answer a series of questions that may reduce or eliminate the penalty. Or you can elect to have the IRS figure the penalty for you.  It's form 2210.

And for 2022 if you started a return before Oct. 16, 2023 you can efile it until Oct 31 at 9pm PST.

Thank you. Very Helpful, I did not know that TT was not aware that there are extensions where the individuals  do not have to pay the due taxes before April deadline. And the most important, I did not know that after October 15, I have to send taxes by mail. This is good mainly for the state and would saved me the $25 fee for state e-file.

For 2022 taxes, California had the first extension for both federal and state on Oct 16, 2023, that has been extended ago to November 16, 2023. This is also for payments due. 

If I amend a return, let say 2020, which TT year edition should I use? 2021, 2022, 2023? Or any?

Anyway, I am getting older and I want to avoid any stress that the taxes put on me, and I will use a tax professional. There are a lot of new terminology mostly at state and the TT does not explain at state the meaning. And other accounting practices that are difficult to understand and learn, mostly by an engineer. The "beauty" is that neither that so acclaimed AI is not capable to explain it. 😊 So taxes in USA became totally discriminatory in USA, letting those with background in Finances laws to get a big advantage to all the other residents. (citizens or not). 

My reply was not for volvo girl, who is more accurate than PFslow, but the link that I clicked sent me to PFslow, who was not totally clear in his statements.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies