turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rmanzella
Returning Member

How do I report non-taxable federal interest income that is taxable for NYS purposes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I report non-taxable federal interest income that is taxable for NYS purposes?

You will still report the income on your federal tax return.  Tax-Exempt Interest is reported in Box 8 of Form 1099-INT, Interest Income.  See the screenshot attached below for where to include this in TurboTax.

You will not pay federal tax on non-taxable income.  TurboTax will carry the same interest income to your New York state tax return and include it as taxable income on that return.

See the TurboTax FAQ below for steps on entering your interest income.  Click "See entire answer" for the full page view.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300478

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You will still report the income on your federal tax return.  Tax-Exempt Interest is reported in Box 8 of Form 1099-INT, Interest Income.  See the screenshot attached below for where to include this in TurboTax.

You will not pay federal tax on non-taxable income.  TurboTax will carry the same interest income to your New York state tax return and include it as taxable income on that return.

See the TurboTax FAQ below for steps on entering your interest income.  Click "See entire answer" for the full page view.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300478

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies