Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report foreign interest income that I want to claim FTC on (form 1116)?

How should I go about reporting passive income (foreign interests) , besides foreign earned salary (that gets categorized as general category income) that I want to claim FTC on (on 1116).  Typically I report such foreign income by manually entering a 1099-INT form on TT, but the FTC guide seems to specifically ask to exclude 1099-INT data as passive income, even though in this case it's sort of made up 1099-INT.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

How do I report foreign interest income that I want to claim FTC on (form 1116)?

Yes, report this on a mock 1099-INT and report a foreign tax paid in Box 6 of the 1099 INT.  When you claim a foreign tax credit for the interest, the entry will appear asking you the country where the foreign tax was paid and the amount of foreign interest reported in the 1099 INT.  This will then report this as passive category income.

@tbudd.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

According to the instructions form 1116Passive income generally includes dividends, interest, royalties, rents, annuities, excess of gains over losses from the sale of property that produces such income or of non-income-producing investment property, and excess of gains over losses from foreign currency or commodities transactions. Capital gains not related to the active conduct of a trade or business are also generally passive income.

@tbudd

My question was on "how" to report this passive income (as in which TT chain of screens) using TT. Should it be reported through manual entry of interest income letting TT represent the same in a made up 1099-INT behind the scenes?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, report this on a mock 1099-INT and report a foreign tax paid in Box 6 of the 1099 INT.  When you claim a foreign tax credit for the interest, the entry will appear asking you the country where the foreign tax was paid and the amount of foreign interest reported in the 1099 INT.  This will then report this as passive category income.

@tbudd.

What is the trick to make a mock 1099-INT work in TurboTax so you don't get a Review on it that keeps it from filing until it has an EIN.  Do you have to also make up a mock EIN?

The TurboTax will not ask for EIN if you choose the option I will type it myself.

Enter Bank in the Received from box and enter the amount of interest in Box 1.

• Open your Tax return
  • Click on Federal >Wages & Income
  • Click on Interest and follow the onscreen instructions.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies