Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report a software error in TurboTax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

You can report errors via the link below:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Long Island Bob
Returning Member

Turbo Tax entered $281,865 on my NY form  IT-196, line 24.  This should be 0.  (There should be no entry there.) It won't let me override it.  How can I override it?  How do I ask Turbo Tax to correct this error in the software.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Check your entries in Deductions & Credits. Line 24 of IT-196 is Other expenses – investment, safe deposit box, etc. An entry of that size is usually a misplaced decimal point, like 10000 instead of 100.00.

TurboTax pulls these numbers from Deductions & Credits > Other Deductions and Credits.

1. Click on Federal on the left column
  2. Choose Deductions & Credits at the top
  3. Scroll down to Other Deductions and Credits. Show more.
  4. Click on anything that says Revisit. That means you've looked at that section and possibly entered numbers.
  5. Change/fix anything
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Long Island Bob
Returning Member

Thanks for the info.

I found that the error was in the entry or in the processing of information about my Roth IRA's.  I don't know if I had entered info incorrectly the first time, or if Turbo Tax changed its instructions in an update, or if Turbo Tax change how it handled the numbers in an update.  I would normally have guessed that I had entered the information incorrectly, but Turbo Tax did a major update before I re-entered everything.  Also, before the update, Turbo Tax had entered $300, not $600, as my charitable contribution (married, filing jointly), and it had repeatedly changed it back to $300 every time I corrected it.  After the update, it entered it, correctly, as $600.  Also, Turbo Tax, after the update, had changed an entry for my wife's Roth IRA.  Turbo Tax did not ask me about it in the various questions, after the update.  I had to go onto the form and change it directly to the correct amount that I had previously entered.  I have used Turbo Tax for many years.  This is the first time that I have seen problems like this.

Thanks again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies