turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report a small amount of income from painting?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
VinceG1

You need to report all earned income from a side job, freelance work or any other self-employment. Even if you didn’t receive a 1099-MISC, you still report any cash, personal checks or credit card payments related to your side job. Follow this link for steps to enter your income from self-employment.

When you’re self-employed, you’ll also want to review your expenses. If they are work-related expenses, you can deduct them.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
VinceG1

are you self employed?

No, just did some painting for a friends parent over the summer, I believe I made a little under 1000, mostly paid in cash
VinceG1

You need to report all earned income from a side job, freelance work or any other self-employment. Even if you didn’t receive a 1099-MISC, you still report any cash, personal checks or credit card payments related to your side job. Follow this link for steps to enter your income from self-employment.

When you’re self-employed, you’ll also want to review your expenses. If they are work-related expenses, you can deduct them.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies