turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report a 1099-R that states land value? I never received cash. My IRA firm closed and relinquished custody of land. How can i report the $9,000 loss?

In 2007, I rolled $10,000 into a land based IRA.  The 1099-R value is just $1,093.  Can i deduct the loss?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I report a 1099-R that states land value? I never received cash. My IRA firm closed and relinquished custody of land. How can i report the $9,000 loss?

No, and the $1000 is probably taxable income. The whole point of an IRA is that the money is not taxed when you deposit it, and you pay income tax on whatever you withdraw, whether it increases or decreases in value.  Since you never paid tax on the initial $10,000 deposit, you have no basis in your investment and the loss is not coming out of your previously taxable income.  So there is nothing you can deduct, and the money you did get is going to be taxable income.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No, and the $1000 is probably taxable income. The whole point of an IRA is that the money is not taxed when you deposit it, and you pay income tax on whatever you withdraw, whether it increases or decreases in value.  Since you never paid tax on the initial $10,000 deposit, you have no basis in your investment and the loss is not coming out of your previously taxable income.  So there is nothing you can deduct, and the money you did get is going to be taxable income.

Thank you!  Much appreciated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies