Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LMM02
Returning Member

How do I proceed in turbo tax with a blank in box 16 of a 1099-R? It was verified with the bank that it should be blank, but turbotax is not allowing it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How do I proceed in turbo tax with a blank in box 16 of a 1099-R? It was verified with the bank that it should be blank, but turbotax is not allowing it.

If there are no state taxes withheld in box 14 of the Form 1099-R then leave boxes 14, 15 and 16 blank (empty)

If there is an amount in box 14 and box 15 has a state payer's ID entered, then use the amount in box 1 for the amount in box 16.

LMM02
Returning Member

Thank you.  State taxes were held out. The taxable amount (box 2a) is different from the gross distribution (box 1) Does that change anything?

No.  The box 2a is the taxable amount that is entered on your federal tax return and it flows to your state return.

The box 1 amount is the gross amount distributed and can be entered in box 16.

LMM02
Returning Member

Ok. Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies