turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I print my state return without the "E-FILE ONLY DO NOT MAIL" watermark? I chose File by Mail, and the return prints with mail instructions but includes watermark.

I have a special circumstance and have to file by mail. I click the File by Mail option, download the documents including the instruction sheet that describes what to include, but the state return that I'm supposed to mail has a huge watermark across it. I can't find out how to remove it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

How do I print my state return without the "E-FILE ONLY DO NOT MAIL" watermark? I chose File by Mail, and the return prints with mail instructions but includes watermark.

This generally means that the form had not been finalized yet by TurboTax.  Did your review of the state return shown any forms that were not yet ready to file?

Yes and thanks for the reply! It was in Ready to File status, and the last step of it was printing the documents to mail out. So the version that has the big watermark is the actual exact one that prints as part of the mail and file step, after everything is complete.

If even shows as "Filed [state] Tax Return" on the Your tax returns and documents section. I think this is a legitimate glitch, but I'm not able to get ahold of support.

Editing to tag @Texas Roger 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

If you use Print Center to print, it will give you an option to print a clean version with no watermarks. Please see the directions below:
If your return is still active and you are inside the return, you can click on Tax Tools on the left, and then Print Center.
If your return thinks you have already printed and filed, these are directions to Print Center.
1.Log into the account you filed the return in
2. Click Tax Home to the left
3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and click Show
3. Select Add a State to get back in return. (not adding one, just a way to get inside return)
4. In the left hand-menu, select Tax Tools.
5. Select Print Center.
6. Then choose Print, save or preview this year’s return.
7. Now check the 2022 federal returns (or 2022 state returns) box and choose which forms to print out or all worksheets.
8. Select View or print forms, then go ahead and print.

If you still need further assistance, please reply back to this thread or click the following link to contact our TurboTax Customer Care team: Contact Us

@spencerporch 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same issue. I followed the steps to Print Center, but the return still shows with watermarks on it.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Are you e-filing or filing by mail? @viktoriias11 

I am filing by mail.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Did you already transmit your state return? 

TurboTax will ask you whether you want to file federal and state together. If you did not change your state to file by mail, TurboTax may have sent your state return, which is why you are still seeing the watermark.

TurboTax should have sent an email (and text message if you asked for one) telling you that your return has been transmitted and another that your return has been accepted.

You can also check with your state website to see whether they have a record of your filing.

For a link to your state tax state, go to How do I track my state refund?

@viktoriias11 

I've e-filed the federal return and it was already accepted. But I need to mail my state return instead of e-filing. On Turbotax, it says Ready to File next to my state return, but the forms still say Do Not Mail, E-File only.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Why does DO NOT FILE, FORM NOT FINAL appear on my printouts? This Turbo Tax FAQ will provide a solution. 

Hi @SForrestLO , this actually isn't the same issue. The returns are not watermarked with "form not final" - they are actually showing "Do Not Mail." I called Customer Service and we walked through everything to show that the steps were being completed correctly, yet resulting in the same error. I was advised to mail them anyway and that the state department of revenue should accept them, even with the watermark.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies