A35Shorty

How do I obtain an IP Pin for my minor/dependant? I have one, but we need one for her as well due to her father using her as a dependent and committing tax fraud.

Someone else claimed my dependent and my return was rejected

If someone else claimed your dependent already, then your e-filed return will be rejected.  Print, sign and mail your own return which claims your dependent.  Mailed returns are processed differently by the IRS.  It will take some time (maybe even up to a year) but eventually the IRS will contact both parties and sort out who could rightfully claim the dependent.  The person who wrongfully claimed the dependent will face repayment of refund $, plus penalties.

A35Shorty

SweetieJean, this was already done. That's how the letter was received prompting me to create an IP PIN
fanfare

File Form 14039 at www.irs.gov to get on the IP PIN list.
However, filing Form 14039 will NOT prevent the father from claiming the child as a dependent.
fanfare

So, no help there.

Right. And Dad could also file for an IP PIN for that dependent.
Shejand

SLSWEETS

You file a form 8332, to revoke his right to claim the kid. I dunno if you can efile it, however. 

I had to do this the first couple of years my ex tried to claim my older 2 kids, also sent along copy of our divorce decree. 

Suffice to say, he stopped after the IRS fined him. 

Sasori

eeeeee

AmyC

You will want to file for a pin for your dependent:

Be sure to file form 8332 revoking the rights of the other parent.

@Sasori

scmom3

Why would I

DavidD66

You have to get an IP PIN from the IRS.  Go to:  Get An Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN)

duanekelly2007

2 year sago my now 20 year old son had is identity stolen and someone submitted a tax return with his social security number and we became aware of it when we submitted out taxes with him as a dependent.  This year we submitted out taxes with his IP Pin associated to him and we got rejected with then error message 

E-file reject IND-181-01: The Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) for the first taxpayer on your return is missing.

Do I have to have a IP Pin too or am I doing something else wrong?

ChondelLO

No. Only the person who had the identity compromised will need the IP PIN. The IRS will send you a CP01A notice with your new IP PIN by early January of 2020. That's the one you'll need to file your 2019 return.