turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

How do I get old w2s

Going back all my worked years
2 Replies

How do I get old w2s

If you cannot obtain the W-2 from your employer, then for a fee you can get a complete copy of a W-2 from the Social Security Administration - https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-02501


You can get a free Wage and Income transcript from the IRS - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript


For a fee of $43 you can get a complete federal tax return to include copies of W-2's, if you mailed the tax return and included a paper W-2, from the IRS by completing Form 4506 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf


See this IRS Tax Topic - http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc159.html

How do I get old w2s

Not sure why you want copies of your W-2's for "all my worked years"----and you have not mentioned how many years you mean.   Getting those W-2's from Social Security could become quite costly if your reason for requesting them is not directly related to Social Security.


You could request a free work history from Social Security that would show your earnings for all the years you worked.


WORK HISTORY  https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-7050.pdf


As for copies of W-2's, if they are not related to Social Security, there is a fee of $126 for each one.   Or...the IRS saves them for seven years and will include them with copies of your tax returns for $43 each.


If there are only a few years involved, your best bet is to request them from the employers who issued them.


To get a copy of a W-2 from Social Security https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-02501




You can pay the IRS $43 for an actual copy of your tax return which will include copies of your W-2’s     





**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies