Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

123kittys

How do i get a refund on State efile when a return is rejected and has to be mailed in instead?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
HelenC1
Expert Alumni

How do i get a refund on State efile when a return is rejected and has to be mailed in instead?

No, you can't get a refund of your TurboTax e-filing fee because TurboTax doesn't charge an e-filing fee in TurboTax Online.

• When you pay for TurboTax Online, you're charged a tax preparation service fee. The prep fee is charged whether you e-file or print your return.
  • If your tax return is rejected, you can either fix the rejection and try e-filing again or file a paper return instead.

If you're using the TurboTax CD\Download version, see Can I get the e-filing fee refunded if my state return got rejected?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The person posting the question was asking about the STATE filing fee. They realize there is no fee for the FEDERAL e-file. Would the state filing fee be refunded if it turns out they can't e-file. Again, for emphasis, this is a question about the STATE filing fee.

@mtzttax wrote:

The person posting the question was asking about the STATE filing fee. They realize there is no fee for the FEDERAL e-file. Would the state filing fee be refunded if it turns out they can't e-file. Again, for emphasis, this is a question about the STATE filing fee.

If the $24.99 state e-file fee was paid by credit card and the state return could not be e-filed, for any reason, then contact TurboTax support and they will be able to either reverse the charge or issue a refund.

To contact TurboTax customer service/support use their contact website during business hours. If the problem concerns any type of refund for fees, use the key words billing issues and do Not use the word Refund or you will get a phone number for tax refunds.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

I paid $25 to e-file the state.  It was rejected,  Can I get a refund?

DHTT2021
Returning Member

No, you can't get a refund of your TurboTax e-filing fee because TurboTax doesn't charge an e-filing fee in TurboTax Online.

When you pay for TurboTax Online, you're charged a tax preparation service fee. The prep fee is charged whether you e-file or print your return.

If your tax return is rejected, you can either fix the rejection and try e-filing again or file a paper return instead.
and Because the TurboTax CD/Download state e-filing fee covers transmission costs and does not guarantee acceptance, it's our policy to not issue refunds except under these special circumstances:

You weren't able to successfully e-file because of a tax situation your state government doesn't support.
The rejection is caused by an override in your state return that we instructed you to enter as a workaround to a known product issue.

A known program error or state government problem blocked you from successfully e-filing your state return.
You were accidentally charged a second e-filing fee when you resubmitted your state return.

If any of these situations apply to you, you can contact us for a refund.

Note: If you used TurboTax Online, know that we don't charge a separate e-filing fee, so there's nothing to refund in this case.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies