Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Ask the Experts about self-employment >> Event happening NOW!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How do I file taxes when I only have the EIN number and not the W2 form?

2 Replies
Level 15

How do I file taxes when I only have the EIN number and not the W2 form?


Every 2020 W-2 that you received must be reported on your 2020 tax return, even if they are for small amounts.  Remember that each one of those W-2’s has your Social Security number on it, and that income was reported to the IRS by the employer.  You do not want to get in trouble with the IRS for under-reporting your income.

ALL of your W-2’s must be entered on the SAME tax return.  


Go to Federal>Wages & Income to enter a W-2.

After you enter the first one, you click Add Another W-2.



W-2's come from your employer, and they have until February 1 to issue it.  Some employers allow you to import the W-2 through the software, but for security reasons you still need information from the actual W-2 to import it.  You might need to phone, drop in, email and/or snail mail an old employer to make sure they know where to send your W-2.


And….SAVE YOUR OWN W-2!  TURBOTAX DOES NOT SAVE IT FOR YOU.  TurboTax will not have a copy of it in your account and will not have an image even if you snapped a photo.  It is up to you to save it for your own records as stated on the back of the W-2.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Level 15

How do I file taxes when I only have the EIN number and not the W2 form?

was your "employer" withholding FICA and medicare taxes?  if yes, then you should have gotten a W-2. if not,  then it was treating you as an independent contractor in which case if you were paid over $600 it should have sent you form 1099-NEC.  you file as self-employed using schedule C - can't use the free edition.

you need to contact them to find out and request a replacement w-2 if an employee or 1099-NEC if an independent contractor.


if they won't then you need to use form 4852

the IRS says you must take the following steps before filing Form 4852
• Attempt to get your Form W-2, Form W-2c from your employer
• If you don’t receive the missing or corrected form from your employer you may call the IRS at
800-829-1040 for assistance. You must provide your name, address (including ZIP code), phone number, social security number, and dates of employment. You must also provide your employer’s or payer’s name, address (including ZIP code), and phone number. The IRS will contact your employer or payer and request the missing form.   Getting through to the IRS may be difficult be their phone system is constantly overloaded 



try calling on several days and if you can't get through use the form


Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings