turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file my taxes free with turbo tax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Whether or not you can use a free product depends on what forms are required in your return and whether you meet other qualifications.  Read this whole posting to learn about the 2 free products.

TurboTax does have 2 free products, but it appears you are not in one of them.  You appear to be using Live Self-Employed, which is the most expensive of all the online products.   That edition is 199.99 for Federal and 44.99 for State and includes Live on-demand help from a CPA/EA tax pro and a final review of your return prior to filing.  If you choose to pay the fees out of your Federal refund, there is an additional 39.99 service fee (44.99 for California filers.)

If you want to downgrade, I'll leave you a link below that tells you how to use "clear and start over" if you think you can use the Free Edition.  I'll also tell you about the other free product.

Or you can remove the "Live" portion of your product, which will save some money, but it still won't be a free product.  Regular Self-Employed Edition is 119.99 for Federal and 44.99 for State.

FAQ:  How do I remove TurboTax Live?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4140092-how-do-i-remove-turbotax-live

Regular Free Edition cannot prepare a lot of the tax forms.   And regular Free Edition is more limited this year due to tax law changes.    If you need any of the new Schedules 1-6, for instance, then you can't use Free Edition.    You can read about the new schedules at the link below.  If you click the blue "see schedule" link there, it will show you what each schedule looks like.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4511015-what-are-the-new-schedules

Here are some common things that cannot be handled by the regular Free Edition:

Itemized deductions
     Business or 1099-MISC income
     Sales of stocks/mutual funds/bonds
     Rental property income
     Foreign Earned Income
     HSA
     Credits, deductions and income reported on the new schedules 1–6, such as the Student Loan Interest Deduction

If you are sure you could use the regular Free Edition, you could downgrade to Free Edition, as long as you have not paid or registered.  You would use the feature "Clear and start over."   Here's how:

It's possible that it would make you later upgrade, however,  if Free Edition cannot handle the situations in your return.

TurboTax also  has another free product called the TurboTax Free File Program.  It is free for both Federal and State--IF you meet just one of the qualifications.   It can handle all the usual forms without the limitations of regular Free Edition. 

You have to meet only ONE of these qualifications:

1) 2018 AGI of $34,000 or less
or
2) Eligible for EIC (earned income credit)
or
3)  Active duty military including Reservists/ National Guard with military W-2 and 2018 AGI of $66,000 or less

NOTE:  If you switch to Free File Program by that method, and find out later you don't qualify,  you won't be able to go back to regular Online TurboTax in that same account.  So instead of switching that way, if you wish you could start a new account (User ID) at the Free File Program website, which would maintain the option of returning to the other Online TurboTax account, if necessary.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Whether or not you can use a free product depends on what forms are required in your return and whether you meet other qualifications.  Read this whole posting to learn about the 2 free products.

TurboTax does have 2 free products, but it appears you are not in one of them.  You appear to be using Live Self-Employed, which is the most expensive of all the online products.   That edition is 199.99 for Federal and 44.99 for State and includes Live on-demand help from a CPA/EA tax pro and a final review of your return prior to filing.  If you choose to pay the fees out of your Federal refund, there is an additional 39.99 service fee (44.99 for California filers.)

If you want to downgrade, I'll leave you a link below that tells you how to use "clear and start over" if you think you can use the Free Edition.  I'll also tell you about the other free product.

Or you can remove the "Live" portion of your product, which will save some money, but it still won't be a free product.  Regular Self-Employed Edition is 119.99 for Federal and 44.99 for State.

FAQ:  How do I remove TurboTax Live?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4140092-how-do-i-remove-turbotax-live

Regular Free Edition cannot prepare a lot of the tax forms.   And regular Free Edition is more limited this year due to tax law changes.    If you need any of the new Schedules 1-6, for instance, then you can't use Free Edition.    You can read about the new schedules at the link below.  If you click the blue "see schedule" link there, it will show you what each schedule looks like.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4511015-what-are-the-new-schedules

Here are some common things that cannot be handled by the regular Free Edition:

Itemized deductions
     Business or 1099-MISC income
     Sales of stocks/mutual funds/bonds
     Rental property income
     Foreign Earned Income
     HSA
     Credits, deductions and income reported on the new schedules 1–6, such as the Student Loan Interest Deduction

If you are sure you could use the regular Free Edition, you could downgrade to Free Edition, as long as you have not paid or registered.  You would use the feature "Clear and start over."   Here's how:

It's possible that it would make you later upgrade, however,  if Free Edition cannot handle the situations in your return.

TurboTax also  has another free product called the TurboTax Free File Program.  It is free for both Federal and State--IF you meet just one of the qualifications.   It can handle all the usual forms without the limitations of regular Free Edition. 

You have to meet only ONE of these qualifications:

1) 2018 AGI of $34,000 or less
or
2) Eligible for EIC (earned income credit)
or
3)  Active duty military including Reservists/ National Guard with military W-2 and 2018 AGI of $66,000 or less

NOTE:  If you switch to Free File Program by that method, and find out later you don't qualify,  you won't be able to go back to regular Online TurboTax in that same account.  So instead of switching that way, if you wish you could start a new account (User ID) at the Free File Program website, which would maintain the option of returning to the other Online TurboTax account, if necessary.

Ctinnell

How do I do my taxes for free my self and they are basic

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies