Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How do I file my husband's taxes if he's in prison now?

My husband was incarcerated on November 30th of this past year and I still need to file his taxes. He was with us for the majority of the year and we usually file Married Filing Jointly, however they have obtained his Driver's License and there is no way for me to file our taxes without having his license and I cannot contact him while he is incarcerated. How do I go about filing our taxes? Should I not be filing Married Jointly?

1 Reply
New Member

How do I file my husband's taxes if he's in prison now?

Yes, You should be able to file Married Filing Jointly.

As a Married Taxpayer, you always have the option of using the Married Filing Joint (MFJ) filing status or the Married Filing Separate (MFS) filing status.  

If you cannot e-file without the driver licence, you can print your taxes and paper file. 

You may also be able to use the Head of Household (HOH) filing status if you provide over half the cost of your home for a Qualifying Child or Relative.  

Check out the TurboTax FAQ below for the requirements you must meet to use the HOH filing status:

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings