Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file married filing separately claiming the standard deduction, when TurboTax says my spouse is itemizing deductions (with no form filled out for her yet)?

I am trying to file married filing separately, taking the standard deduction, but when I get to the Deductions & Credits section, it says that since my spouse is itemizing deductions, I must also itemize deductions.  I haven't even filled out my wife's married filing separately form yet.  How does TurboTax assume that she will be itemizing deductions???  How do I override this so we can both file separately claiming the standard deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I file married filing separately claiming the standard deduction, when TurboTax says my spouse is itemizing deductions (with no form filled out for her yet)?

As stated go back and edit your information and your spouse's information in the My Info section.  You should see the following screenshots and further in the program the last screenshot.MFS Itemize.JPG

MFS Itemize 1.JPG

MFS Itemize 2.JPG

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You might need to go to My Info and check what you selected for your spouse. That's what one user had to do.......

By going in and editing my personal info there was a section a page or two in where I could unclick that my spouse would be filing itemized.

As stated go back and edit your information and your spouse's information in the My Info section.  You should see the following screenshots and further in the program the last screenshot.MFS Itemize.JPG

MFS Itemize 1.JPG

MFS Itemize 2.JPG

Thanks so much for clearing that up !!!  I have no idea how I missed those steps.  I guess that once I entered my wife's info earlier that there was no reason to click Edit on the summary page.  In any event, your help will make it a lot easier from here on out!  Thanks again!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies