turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter the split of a 1099-DIV into TurboTax, both in the estate report and the decedent's final report?

I just received a 1099-DIV and it includes dividends paid both before my mother's death and after her death. How do I enter the split into TurboTax, both in the estate report and the decedent's final report? Do I also need to issue a 1099 from the decedent to the estate for the portion that was paid after death?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

How do I enter the split of a 1099-DIV into TurboTax, both in the estate report and the decedent's final report?

You can always request corrected 1099-DIVs from the payer, but it is unlikely the payer will issue them.

Therefore, you will have to report all of the income from the 1099-DIV on the decedent's final return and then report a nominee distribution to the estate. The procedure is set forth below.

How to report.

If you are preparing the decedent's final return and you have received a Form 1099-INT for the decedent that includes amounts belonging to the decedent and to another recipient (the decedent's estate or another beneficiary), report the total interest shown on Form 1099-INT on Schedule B (Form 1040), Interest and Ordinary Dividends. Next, enter a subtotal of the interest shown on Forms 1099, and the interest reportable from other sources for which you didn't receive Forms 1099. Then, show any interest (including any interest you receive as a nominee) belonging to another recipient separately and subtract it from the subtotal. Identify the amount of this adjustment as "Nominee Distribution" or other appropriate designation.

Report dividend income for which you received a Form 1099-DIV on the appropriate schedule using the same procedure.

Note. If the decedent received amounts as a nominee, you must give the actual owner a Form 1099, unless the owner is the decedent's spouse.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p559#en_US_2018_publink100099516

Gangogh
Returning Member

I have this same issue. I entered the entire amount of the foreign tax paid in Box 7 when entering the 1099-DIV into Turbo Tax. But, when I choose that I have to adjust this amount and enter the amount only applicable to the nominee, the amount also changes in Box 7 to the adjustment amount. What am I doing wrong? 

Lgsoregon

How do I split the 1099 between the social security umber and the new tax number.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You can split the 1099 by telling TurboTax you need to adjust your dividends @Lgsoregon.

• After you enter your 1099-DIV you will see Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply to you.
  • Select I need to adjust these dividends
  • Enter the amount that will be reported on another tax return and choose I received all or part of these dividends for someone else (I am a nominee)

As Tax Champ @tagteam said, give the other person a 1099-DIV for the amount you are not reporting.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lgsoregon

I entered as stated but the sum of the accounts is incorrect.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Try walking back through the steps ErnieS0 outlined above to see if you can make the needed correction.

If not, delete this specific Form 1099-DIV (you’ll typically see a trashcan icon to delete) and start over.

@Lgsoregon

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies