sroesch

How do I enter a number on Line 29 of the 1040? (without reporting any self-employed income)

I own a Sub-S corp. My son works in the business. We pay $3,600 towards employee health insurance. On his W-2, his wages (Box 1) are $3,600 higher than his SocSec Wages (Box 2). Our CPA says I should enter the $3,600 on Line 29 of the 1040 (Self-employed Health Insur Deduction), but I can't use Schedule C for this unless I report income too.

PhyllisG

To enter Health Insurance Premiums you paid as a Self Employed S-Corporation Member:

1. Type K-1 in Find
  2. Click the Jump to k-1s link
  3. Click through until you have the option to Update or Add your K-1
  4. If you've already entered your K-1, click Edit, if you haven't then click Add
  5. Enter all the applicable information or click through until you come to the Other Situations screen  
  6. Check the box next to, "I personally paid health insurance...."
  7. Click Continue until you get to the Self Employed Health Insurance screen and enter the amount that was paid.