turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I determine how much to write off for cell phone use if I am self employed and have one phone for personal and business use?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyT

How do I determine how much to write off for cell phone use if I am self employed and have one phone for personal and business use?

You will need to make a reasonable allocation of your personal use and your business use of the phone.  For example, if your overall use is half business and half personal, you can deduct half the monthly cost of the cell phone on your Schedule C.  If your business use is only 30% of the total use, you can deduct 30% of the monthly fees, etc.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmyT

You will need to make a reasonable allocation of your personal use and your business use of the phone.  For example, if your overall use is half business and half personal, you can deduct half the monthly cost of the cell phone on your Schedule C.  If your business use is only 30% of the total use, you can deduct 30% of the monthly fees, etc.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies