Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rondoctor

How do I designate my Spouse as the primary Taxpayer on our completed Married Filing Jointly Return?

In our completed TurboTax return, I am the "Taxpayer". How do I change that so that my spouse is the "Taxpayer"?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How do I designate my Spouse as the primary Taxpayer on our completed Married Filing Jointly Return?

You can't just switch the order of names.  You would have to clear and start over.  It shouldn't make a difference who is listed first or primary.  But the IRS does want you to be consistent each year.  

to clear and start over

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

Why do you want to do that?   It makes no difference to your refund or tax due.   And the IRS prefers for you to stay consistent from one year to the next when you file joint returns. Switching the order of the names can cause confusion and delays in processing your tax return.   

If this is your very first joint return, you can clear it and start over.  You cannot just swap the names with each other because the accompanying data that was entered will not move with the names.   If you want to clear and start over, then you can do that, and enter the "primary" tax payer first when you begin to enter information in MY INFO.

CLEAR AND START OVER

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2586254-how-do-i-clear-and-start-over

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Attempting to switch the order of the names on an existing tax return will cause errors that you will not be able to fix. That's why the other replies are telling you to clear your tax return and start over. The primary taxpayer has to be the first name that you enter when you first start the tax return. You can't change it later.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies