Solved: How can I split the amount I owe to the IRS so I can pay with two separate credit cards

thane-kelley

How can I split the amount I owe to the IRS so I can pay with two separate credit cards

AnthonyC
Intuit Approved!

You won't be able to split the payment between two credit cards using the TurboTax system during e-file.  But, you can when you pay directly to the IRS.  Select "Pay by check" when e-filing and a voucher for the full amount will be produced, which you can then ignore.  After you e-file, you can use the website below to make two separate payments with a credit card directly to the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/pay-taxes-by-credit-or-debit-card

AnthonyC
Intuit Approved!

beeria1

Is the answer provided on June 4, 2019, still valid?

Thank you!

@beeria1 wrote:

Thank you!

Yes, the answer is still valid.

aztec

What if I want to pay with multiple credit cards but still have a balance left over - can I send in the balance using a check ? Do I need to use the turbo tax printed voucher to do that ?

Yes.  You don't need a Turbo Tax pre-Printed voucher.  Just fill out a blank one for the check

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040v.pdf 

aztec

Thanks for your quick reply/. However, doesn't this go against the max of 2 payments allowed per year by the IRs. 

For instance, if I have a balance of 10,000 owed in taxes - and I put $4000 on 2 credit cards - am I still allowed to send in a check for the remaining $2000 ?

aztec

@VolvoGirl --would appreciate your reply. Thanks in advance. 

AnnetteB6

You can only make two payments to the IRS on their direct pay site per day, not per year.  Making two payments using credit cards and then mailing a check for the remaining taxes is not a problem at all.  

@aztec