Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ertrqueen

It is 4/15/2019, why can't I use the Direct Debit Date of today for paying my balance due? If I put the 4/16/2019 date, won't I be charged interest/penalties?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JuttaS
Employee Writer

It is 4/15/2019, why can't I use the Direct Debit Date of today for paying my balance due? If I put the 4/16/2019 date, won't I be charged interest/penalties?

If you're outside the U.S. and it's already 4/16, set your computer's clock to a US time zone that's before midnight on 4/15 and you should be able to select 4/15.

Otherwise, to pay your IRS taxes on time, select "I will pay by check" (ignore the check payment instructions that follow) and then go to the IRS webpage https://www.irs.gov/payments to pay online.

(revised instructions 4/15/19 at 7:29 PM Mountain)

View solution in original post

15 Replies
ertrqueen

I am in the US, it is 7:30p CDT, and my computer time is correct.
JuttaS
Employee Writer

Hmmm! I see some other users are reporting similar problems - hope it's not an 11th hour bug. Are you trying to pay the IRS? If so, you can forego the payment process in TurboTax and pay directly at their website? <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/payments">https://www.irs.gov/payments</a> (Choose Direct Pay for direct debit). I've used it before, works like a charm.
ertrqueen

So I submit my returns as normal, but say I'm mailing in a check, and then pay online at the IRS site using Direct Debit from my bank account?
JuttaS
Employee Writer

Yes, correct (even though you won't be sending a check). Unfortunately there's no option "I'll pay the IRS directly online" but the check one will do. Ignore the instructions to print the 1040-V etc.
JuttaS
Employee Writer

by the way, we are investigating this as a bug
ertrqueen

OK - thanks so much!! Way better than having to pay credit card fees or drive to the post office with the check, although I'd rather just do it all in one step. I really appreciate the fast response. Does it make any sense to wait a bit to see if the bug gets fixed?
JuttaS
Employee Writer

I wouldn't - but I'm the type that just likes to get things done so I can move onto more  important things (like dinner!) Plus even if it does get fixed in time, what if something else happens like your device freezes or the internet goes down?
ertrqueen

That worked perfectly - THANK YOU!

The TT site actually says the payment date needs to be one day later than the filing date. Is 4/16 acceptable if filing on 4/15/? I assume it is since it usually takes few days to process.
JuttaS
Employee Writer

If you're outside the U.S. and it's already 4/16, set your computer's clock to a US time zone that's before midnight on 4/15 and you should be able to select 4/15.

Otherwise, to pay your IRS taxes on time, select "I will pay by check" (ignore the check payment instructions that follow) and then go to the IRS webpage https://www.irs.gov/payments to pay online.

(revised instructions 4/15/19 at 7:29 PM Mountain)

But then it is late, right?
ertrqueen

If you can't put in the 4/15/2019 date on the Direct Debit page, follow the advice from TurboTaxJutta to submit via the IRS website - it worked great for me!

Which option of payment did you pick when e-filing?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies