turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bas15007

Hi everyone, my state and federal tax returns keep getting rejected, citing an incorrect AGI for my previous return. Only, the number is correct. Any advice?

I've double and triple checked and resubmitted multiple times, and each time the Federal eFile gets rejected within minutes. The reason given is an incorrect AGI for the previous year. But that was the number in my previous year's 1040, which was processed. Really confused on this one. Thanks in advance.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Hi everyone, my state and federal tax returns keep getting rejected, citing an incorrect AGI for my previous return. Only, the number is correct. Any advice?

ENTER 0 FOR AGI. The IRS took a long time last year to process 2020 returns so the AGI didn't get entered in time.  Especially if you mailed it.  That works for most people. See,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-ge...

How to correct the AGI in the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If you can’t get it to efile you will have to print and mail it.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

bas15007

Thanks very much for your reply!

I just re-sent the return with 0 in the AGI, unfortunately it was also immediately rejected.

Check that you did not file last year and you will not get the AGI question and be able to file. IRS does not  require AGI.  It is fine to bypass it.

I have been having the same issue.  I did an online search for others having the same problem and found comments saying that the IRS does not recognize your prior year AGI if they have not yet processed your return.  Others have suggested putting in zero for prior year AGI works.

I resent mine earlier today using 0 for AGI and so far it has not kicked back.  Fingers crossed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies