turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Albert_S

Hello, I'm trying to file a California return electronically and it is stuck on form 540 Line 74 - Excess SDI. I've entered the amount, checked W-2, etc. But it is stuck.

I've also deleted the W-2 and manually re-entered it. I may have to print & mail the California one. Any help appreciated. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

61 Replies

Hello, I'm trying to file a California return electronically and it is stuck on form 540 Line 74 - Excess SDI. I've entered the amount, checked W-2, etc. But it is stuck.

Do you have more than 1 W2?  CA SDI is in either box 14 or 19.  If it is in box 19 then move it to box 14.  How much is it?  The max is 1% of your wages up to $1,149.67.  How much is it over?  Try leaving off the cents.  If it's giving you line 74 for excess then you entered more than 1 W2.  

Albert_S

Only 1 W2. On the California Excess SDI Worksheet, it won't calculate if I put A=No, B=No, C=Yes. Total is 781 with no cents.

Why are you in the Excess SDI worksheet?  Just delete it from Forms Mode.  Is 781 more than 1% of your wages on the W2?  
Albert_S

10% of wages in box one would be 696
Albert_S

Sorry, I meant 1%

I am retired I don't have SDI  nor do I have a W2 form

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Understand you are retired with no "SDI" or "W2" income.  What is your question that may be able to assist you with?  Are you trying to file a return for a stimulus payment.  If no other income but Social Security then you do not need to file a tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mmfujim

Cannot delete the worksheet since line 74 is part of Form 540, the California Income tax form

mmfujim

My income is SS plus retirement from my past company and RMD so all I have are 1099 forms; no W2 . Cannot complete my electronic transfer because I seem to be stuck on this entry

I am experiencing same thing. It will not file the return and keeps saying there is an issue on Form 540 Line 74. I have one W2 so I put in 0 but its still highlighted pink amd keeps going back to it as an error ?

LR11
Level 1

I'm having the same problem. I have one W2. I'vefollowed all the other instructions given here and still get this error and the system won't allow me to efile until it's resolved! 

Same issue for me. Box 14 showed as "SDI" and I changed it to "CA SDI" and after that it transmitted.

I have tried all of the solutions provided and none are working.  I am filing for 2020.  I have one employer (PEO), but I was employed by 2 different companies that used the same PEO.  No matter what I alter, It still shows 1,229 on line 1 and 1a.  The only way is to override.

Help?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2020" file that is experiencing this issue. 

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution. 

@malukaly2005 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies