Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Default1

Having to upgrade to deluxe because of schedule 3 nonrefundable credits? Not sure what that means. Can someone explain please?

I may have to think about moving to another provider.  Thank you for the information.

Having to upgrade to deluxe because of schedule 3 nonrefundable credits? Not sure what that means. Can someone explain please?

wow, thanks. 8 years with turbotax and if this is the case I'm definitely dropping them.

money hungry  bastards

Moving to HR block. It's still free for the additional forms.
kolfan016

wow I've been using turbo tax for about 5 years now, losing another customer cause of this b.s.

If you were filing for free, TurboTax is not losing much here.

After using turbotax for 10+ years we have now changed to credit karma. I tried to file our taxes today and got to the end and received a message saying now we have to pay. Um WHY? The message said because we have a schedule 3 nonrefundable credit blah blah blah. Not only did they want us to pay, but they wanted us to pay $39.99 each for federal and state then pay to have those fees taken from our return instead of using a debit/credit card (we don't have either). I'm not losing $120 of our hard earned money to these crooks. So did some research and found credit karma was completely free to file our federal tax return, there is a fee to file state. I'll go to my state website to file for free. We will no longer be using turbotax.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax is not a charity. It's a commercial company that is in business to make money by selling software and services. They don't make any money by giving away their products, and they are not under any obligation to give it away. Offering a very restricted version of the product for free is a marketing strategy. They do it in the hope that you will buy something. It's like any other business that gives free samples as a way of introducing their product to potential new customers. When a food store gives you a free sample, they don't give you a full portion or a full meal. They give you a taste. If you want more, you have to buy something.

There's a huge difference between a "free sample" to try something, then paying to buy the actual item, and TubroTax saying a service is free and then charging you upwards of $120 to file your taxes. They should say right out that there isn't a free option anymore. Tell me that at the beginning, and not after I'm ready to file.  

Further, I don't have any of the things they say requires this additional form, and I have to "upgrade" anyway? LOL no.

I switched to credit karma as well. H&R Block does the same thing so don't use them either. They tell you it's free up until you're about to file and then try to slap you with a charge. TurboTax is the worst for sure though as they try to charge you $40 for "Deluxe" whereas H&R Block attempts to hit you up for only $15. Long story short, go with Credit Karma Tax.
zacb911

So yeah 8+ yrs with you guys cuz u made it so simple to do taxes...now you wants us to pay for some stupid forms cuz of extra tax credits that doesn't even cost you or anyone else extra money to file...talking about a money making scheme now like really...$40 for Federal, $40 for state, n if u don't want to come outta pocket u charge another $40 to take it off of our tax refund???? Thought you guys are better then that but obviously NOT!! Taking my business else where's,!!!
jdatkin4

Yup, hidden fees. Customer for 3 years, but not next year. I had to shell out over $150. My tax return wasn't even that complicated (in my opinion)
alpha232

@rjs, but face the fact that for them to support what was done in prior years for free would require very little effort... Also for many it comes down to Get an Extra $100 and pay half of that back to Turbo Tax... It's almost like having them charge you a % of the refund... This definitely has me seeing another service.

A customer for almost a decade and I was going to pay for a couple other perks only to get surprised with an extra $80 charge just because I'm using 1040? Just went to H+R block free service and there was no charge at all. Bye.

I’m being forced to pay for Deluxe for a $63 refund for the Saver’s credit. It costs me $80 (or maybe even $120) to $63. Yeah...that makes sense! I can’t even decline it. So off to H&R or someone else.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies