turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Under deductions & credits, it asked if I made less this year than 2016, I said yes and it's asking for my 2016 earned income. Is that the same as my AIG?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
EBG
Level 2

Under deductions & credits, it asked if I made less this year than 2016, I said yes and it's asking for my 2016 earned income. Is that the same as my AIG?

Great question! No, they aren't. Your AGI includes ALL income you've received in a year, including investment and dividends, as well as some deductions and credits, as explained here https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/what-is-adjusted-gross-income-agi/L2C6rCEit:

"AGI calculation

The AGI calculation is relatively straightforward.

• It is equal to the total income you report that’s subject to income tax—such as earnings from your job, self-employment, alimony income and interest from a bank account—minus specific deductions, or “adjustments” that you’re eligible to take.
  • Your AGI is calculated before you take exemptions and the standard or itemized deduction—which you report in later sections of the return."

while your EARNED is explained here (basically earned income only includes money you've worked for in some shape or form):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2899928-what-is-earned-income

View solution in original post

2 Replies
EBG
Level 2

Great question! No, they aren't. Your AGI includes ALL income you've received in a year, including investment and dividends, as well as some deductions and credits, as explained here https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/what-is-adjusted-gross-income-agi/L2C6rCEit:

"AGI calculation

The AGI calculation is relatively straightforward.

• It is equal to the total income you report that’s subject to income tax—such as earnings from your job, self-employment, alimony income and interest from a bank account—minus specific deductions, or “adjustments” that you’re eligible to take.
  • Your AGI is calculated before you take exemptions and the standard or itemized deduction—which you report in later sections of the return."

while your EARNED is explained here (basically earned income only includes money you've worked for in some shape or form):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2899928-what-is-earned-income

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Earned Income. According to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS), earned income includes only certain earnings over the course of any given year. These specific income items include your wages or salary, commissions and bonuses, as well as business income net of expenses if you are self-employed

Adjusted gross income (AGI) is an individual's total earned income minus specific deductions. Taxable income is adjusted gross income minus allowances for personal exemptions and itemized deductions. For most individual tax purposes, AGI is more relevant than earned income.

See IRS links below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies