Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Got rejection IND-517-01, meaning my dependent didn't indicate herself as dependent. But verified that she DID indicate herself as dependent. What can be done?

Can you clarify who's return was rejected? Yours or your sons?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nrobi78

Got rejection IND-517-01, meaning my dependent didn't indicate herself as dependent. But verified that she DID indicate herself as dependent. What can be done?

Hi, it was my return that was rejected, his was accepted. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Ok, then he must have claimed himself. The box must not have been checked saying someone will claim him as a dependent. In this case, you will have to either remove him as a dependent to e-file or paper file. 

You could remove him as a dependent, e-file, and then amend your return to add him back on as a dependent. Either way, he will need to amend his return to show he was claimed as a dependent.

If you want to make changes or add a document to a tax return that has already been submitted, you should follow these guidelines. 

• You must first wait until the initial return is completely processed. 
  • You will have to use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return. 
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return.  
  • The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due 
  • Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. 
  • You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment 

Select your product below and follow the instructions. 

Amend TurboTax Online 

Amend TurboTax CD/Download 

nrobi78

Hi - no, I did his return myself and it shows the box clicked, just like the OPs original question. Here's a screenshot from his completed and accepted return:

Screenshot 2024-04-18 143628.png

I double checked his SSN on his return and my own several times. Nothing has changed about this process for us in the last 3 years of submitting so its odd that I'm getting an error this year. I guess i will just mail my return in with him included - should I also include a copy of his return showing the box checked off as well as proof? 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

No, do not include his return with yours.

Do you have any other dependents? I'm wondering if it is actually a different dependent and a fraud issue where someone filed a fraudulent return.

nrobi78

Oh, ok - yes I do have one more dependent.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately your only option will be to paper file your return.  I would also suggest you Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit and mail it along with your return. I would assume it is your other child and mark that assumption on your form, Section A, item 3.

More information can be found here: 

Identity Theft Guide 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies