Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ianmoi

Can I use TurboTax Free Edition with unemployment income? I could in 2017, but not in 2018. Is this change correct? If so, why?

I was able to file for free last year with both a W-2 and a 1099-G. This year I'm being told that I need Deluxe to have a 1099-G filed correctly, is this true? And if so, why would you make unemployment, something that implies a struggling income, be something that triggers paying $40 for an otherwise free service.

I really like TurboTax, but currently, my taxes are pretty simple and I'm not in a spot to drop $40 when I don't have to.

Thanks, please let me know if I can still use Free Edition with unemployment income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Can I use TurboTax Free Edition with unemployment income? I could in 2017, but not in 2018. Is this change correct? If so, why?

You cannot use TurboTax Free Edition if you received unemployment benefits. Because the IRS has made major changes to Form 1040 for 2018, TurboTax has had to change what tax situations are included in Free Edition. Some of the things that used to be included are no longer included.

The IRS has simplified Form 1040 by moving many of the entries that used to be on Form 1040 to a set of six separate schedules. There are no short forms 1040A or 1040EZ for 2018. All 2018 tax returns will be filed on Form 1040. TurboTax Free Edition for 2018 will only prepare simple tax returns that can be completed with Form 1040 itself. Anything that requires one of the six new schedules requires an upgrade. Unemployment income has been moved to Schedule 1. Therefore it is not included in Free Edition.

You might be able to use the TurboTax Free File Program instead of Free Edition. See the FAQ at the link below for information about TurboTax Free File Program, including the requirements to be able to use it. It's not available yet for 2018, but it will be available later in January.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

View solution in original post

11 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You cannot use TurboTax Free Edition if you received unemployment benefits. Because the IRS has made major changes to Form 1040 for 2018, TurboTax has had to change what tax situations are included in Free Edition. Some of the things that used to be included are no longer included.

The IRS has simplified Form 1040 by moving many of the entries that used to be on Form 1040 to a set of six separate schedules. There are no short forms 1040A or 1040EZ for 2018. All 2018 tax returns will be filed on Form 1040. TurboTax Free Edition for 2018 will only prepare simple tax returns that can be completed with Form 1040 itself. Anything that requires one of the six new schedules requires an upgrade. Unemployment income has been moved to Schedule 1. Therefore it is not included in Free Edition.

You might be able to use the TurboTax Free File Program instead of Free Edition. See the FAQ at the link below for information about TurboTax Free File Program, including the requirements to be able to use it. It's not available yet for 2018, but it will be available later in January.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

screw you poor people
adric68

Way to HIDE the TurboTax Free File which is the same damn thing as the Free Edition.. So yes if you Your

2018 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is $34,000 or less

You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)

In 2018, you served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum AGI of $66,000, and you have a military-issued W-2

You can still file for free without needing to upgrade to deluxe. BUT if you just go to your account and try to start filing it will never tell you that Free File is available and will try to upsell you to deluxe.. You have to click on the <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/</a> link to GET to the Free File system. It will not automatically get you there from your account page.

thanks for that link. I was in total disbelief when they tried to charge me 39.99 for Federal and 39.99 for State filing when I tried to enter my unemployment compensation. Can't believe that they would do that to unemployed people who
 just struggled through the holiday season!!!

Good job trying to rip people of TT
ack3783

You can use H&R Block for free with unemployment income, that's what I had to do.
helipath

Right? Shame on you TurboTax. $40 is a lot to the struggling unemployed.

I found that the taxfreedom option has a limitation based on Adjusted Gross Income. I had W-2 income from a decent job and although I earned a decent salary, I ended up losing that job, and had to rely on unemployment and still am unemployed. This up-charge is unfair and I won't pay it because there is another free option on the "block" that offers free filing too and they don't charge extra for having unemployment income

turbo tax wanted 59.99 deluxe upgrade... AND 39.99 for the state! I am paying for the tax on unemployment anyways! such rip-offs!  I ended up doing the handwritten paper version....

This is the grossest thing a corporation can do. YOU [removed]. Customer of 8 years = GONE.

**bleep** YOU.

Signed,

A poor.

@kellebell730   Try one of the IRS Free File programs

Free File: Do your Federal Taxes for Free | Internal Revenue Service

Or you can get the blank forms and fill them out by hand.

2021 1040

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

Instructions

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

Current year EIC and Tax Tables  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies