Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

From our experiences, Turbo Tax never has any issue of importing data from TD Ameritrade; however, we could NOT import our W2's and also our brokerage accounts for 2019.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

From our experiences, Turbo Tax never has any issue of importing data from TD Ameritrade; however, we could NOT import our W2's and also our brokerage accounts for 2019.

I'm sorry for the experience you are having importing your W-2s and your 1099-B forms. If the issue persists, here's how to enter the information manually.

W-2:

1. From Tax Home, open or continue your return.
  2. In the upper right menu, select search and search for W-2.
  3. Select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  4. At the Let's start with some info from this W?2 screen, don’t enter your employer's EIN, just select Continue.
    • Or, Add Another W-2 if you see the Here’s your W-2 info screen.
    • On the Let’s type in the rest of your W-2 info screen, you can manually enter your W-2 information.

1099-B:

From Tax Home, open or continue your return.

• Once in your return, click Income & Expenses (top tabs)
  • Scroll down till you see Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  • Follow the prompts to add in your sales
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

will not take my info-that is really unacceptable  to be able not to download info from TD Ameritrade -cant you get a patch?

I will keep trying-if I have to enter manually I will buy another tax program next year that can import!  This should not be happening-no problems until this year!

CoolGAguy

You are right, TurboTax has become useless. I won't be using turbo tax anymore if I cannot download my data from Ameritrade.

Victor127

I have also had no luck getting TD Ameritrade to work with Turbotax - really shocking and will need to find a new provider

That is a stupid f***  answer as it will not sign into AMERITRADE.....    repeated people have compained and you respond with it always work?    are you trying to be FUNNY.    Get someone with a brain to answer these questions.

2019 H&B will not import. the program failed and I don't recognize the correct numbers to put into the form.  I am not satisfied and I should at least get a refund or provide a patch. many have the same problem.  the point of buying TurboTax is to simplify the input of data.

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

There has been a thread provided for you below. It should guide you on importing your information.

Importing information from Ameritrade

this applies to 2018 software not  2019.  My 2018 and 2020 will import, not 2019.

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

Follow the instructions in the TurboTax FAQ here to import your 1099. If you need further assistance, contact customer support here.

d215

I have the same problem.  I cannot import my TDAmeritrade data.  I called turbotax and they said they had no idea....I may need to wait a few days, but no known issues.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

You also might try deleting the imported data from TD Ameritrade and entering the information manually.  

calluch

This is happening to me also, cannot import 1099 from Ameritade.....I am not going to enter 300 entries manually. Thats why I pay for this software so I dont have to.

Why can't we import a file like past years ??

How to enter a summary in lieu of individual transactions

Your brokerage statements should include a summary of your transactions, grouped by sales category, for example "Box A short-term covered" or "Box D long-term covered". You'll enter the summary info instead of each individual transaction.

1. Open your return in TurboTax Online (if it's not already open) and search for stock sales in the upper-right corner.
  2. Click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to both Did you sell any investments? and Did you get a 1099-B?
    • If you land on Here's the investment sales info we have so far, select Add More Sales. Then answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-B?
  4. On the Choose Your Bank or Brokerage import screen, select I'll type it in myself.
  5. Select or enter your brokerage on the next screen and continue.
  6. On the following screen (Tell us about...) select the second option, I'll enter a summary.
  7. On the same screen, enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Done.
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter additional sales or to view a summary.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies