Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form E-589CI Do I have to pay taxes on the total build of this barn or just the labor?

WE had a barn built and were given a form E-589CI.  Where do we implement this on our tax return?  Must we pay taxes on the entire contract (materials and labor)? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Form E-589CI Do I have to pay taxes on the total build of this barn or just the labor?

As I understand  from the  following  ( from NC DOR ) -->https://files.nc.gov/ncdor/documents/files/e589ci_7-18_webfill.pdf

this is just a statement of a contract between the contractor and you  that this capital improvement is subject to sales/use tax.  I am assuming that you are handling this outside of your  State  return filing ( or you have to include this  as the use tax liability if  if it has not been taxed as such ).  This has no impact on the federal return.

Is this what you meant or ?

Its sort of what I meant.  I now (thanks to you:) am beginning to understand that I must pay state tax on this (we have not as yet because the contractor stated it was a 'tax free' sale due to the form E-589CI)...  We want to pay the proper amount of taxes, and I need to know if we must pay taxes on both the labor and the supplies.  Thank you so much.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies