Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jdancer20
Returning Member

Form 8606 first home confusion

In the interest of being proactive, I'm trying to figure out what's required to get Form 8606 to show up in Turbo Tax 2020.

At the time of typing this, Form 8606 is not available yet.

Situation:

Per https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/yes-you-need-to-file-form-8606-this-form-is-... is a qualified Roth IRA distribution. Unlike the original poster (OP), I withdrew my Roth IRA contributions. My 1099-R form does show the $10K first time home purchase amount and original Roth IRA contributions as "Gross distribution (Box 1)".

Per https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/re-form-5329-t-and-s-for-first-time-homebuye..., Roth IRA contributions are not taxable.

I had to manually check mark Turbo Tax Form 1099-R for the line "If box 7 code is J or T,  check is qualified distribution (see Help)". I also entered "first time home purchase 10000.00" for the line "If box code is J, enter amount used for first time home purchase". This made Turbo Tax Form 8606 disappear.

Anyone know the magic keystrokes required to get Form 8606 to show in Turbo Tax. I need the paperwork to tell the IRS I withdrew $10K plus my original Roth IRA contributions.

Thanks for the help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

there's no magic ; you don't need form 8606 for this situation.

if a form is not ready yet in TurboTax, there's no other magic that will make it appear.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies