Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 4868 extension payments

I was traveling out of the country for four months with my wife.  When we returned in mid-April I filed a form 4868 with an estimated partial tax payment and the request for extension of time for being out of the country.

I cannot find any place in TurboTax to file the amount I paid

How do I handle it?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

If your extension payment did not automatically show up on 1040 line 70 you need to enter it.  So make sure it's not already there before you enter it!

You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To the screen where you enter Extension Payments.

To enter the amount you paid with an extension (including state extension)  go to
Federal Taxes (or Personal for H&B/Self Employed version)
Deductions and Credits
Choose Jump to Full List -or  I'll choose what I work on
Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Next page second section Payments with Extension
Either Visit All or Click Start or Update by the extension you paid
Nigelaz

After completing our 2018 taxes using TurboTax, we owed zero taxes.  When I printed form 1040, it was two pages combined onto a single page.  There was no line 70 to show the amount I paid with the extension ($200).  Why is the form 1040 so short compared with 2017?  How do I show the $200 I paid – TurboTax had that info when I used EasyStep.

For 2018, the IRS totally redesigned the 1040 and also eliminated the 1040A and 1040EZ. "Redesigning" the 1040 means that they removed most of the lines on the 1040 and spread them across 6 schedules (1 through 6), so actually they really didn't simplify it at all.

The line referred to here (for the payment of tax with form 4868) is now line 71 on Schedule 5 of form 1040. Enter this amount as described above and then go looking for Schedule 5. I don't know if you are using the Online or Desktop software, but for Online, look for "Preview my 1040" and in Desktop look for Forms.

Nigelaz

Thank you – schedule 5 is the answer – I now have that refund info on my 1040.  However, I'm not sure why EasyStep failed to enter it there.  Perhaps because I went back to Forms.  I hope TurboTax monitors this forum and learns from it.

andie1024

My extension payment shows in TT but does not get included in total taxes paid. 

JulieS
Expert Alumni

I am not sure why you extension payment didn't show on your tax return, but you can enter the amount manually:

1. With your tax return open, select Federal on the left side menu.
  2. Click on Deductions and Credits toward the upper left corner.
  3. Expand the list and find Estimates and Other Taxes Paid, expand the section.
  4. Find Income Taxes Paid, and click Start or Revisit to the right.
  5. The first item on the list will be Payments with 2021 federal extension, click Start to the right.
  6. Enter the amount you paid with your extension, click Continue.
  7. If you made a state payment, select Payments with 2021 state extension and enter that amount as well. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JfchIII

Using Turbo Tax Premier; 2021 1040-SR

I filed an extension using Turbo Tax and sent the payment to the IRS with the application-generated voucher.

The forms I had not received arrived today but after I entered the data--including the amount I had paid with the application for extension which had automatically appeared in the blank for extension payment--the generated final return showed I still owed tax in the amount of the payment I previously made. What am I missing? I'd like to be able to submit a return that accurately reflects my payments and shows that no further tax is due. Thanks.

what do you have under 'estimated tax payments', specifically what was paid on April 15, 2022? 

JfchIII

Estimated tax payments include all form 1040-ESpayments I made prior to April 15, 2022.

"Payment with 2021 federal extension" is under heading "Payments with Extension" in "Other income taxes." This is where the amount of my extension payment shows up but the return still shows that amount as taxes due. Thanks.

Depends on whether you paid an estimated tax or you paid taxes with an extension request.

To enter, edit or delete estimated taxes paid (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Estimates, click on the start or update button

Or enter estimates paid in the Search box located in the upper right of the online program screen. Click on Jump to estimates paid

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

• On Income Taxes Paid, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to federal extension payment

The federal extension payment will be shown on Schedule 3 Line 9. The amount from Schedule 3 Part II Line 13 flows to Form 1040 Line 31

JfchIII

Very helpful. Thank you.

can016

where do I put the amount paid with the extension in the form?

@can016 wrote:

where do I put the amount paid with the extension in the form?

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

• On Income Taxes Paid, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to federal extension payment

The federal extension payment will be shown on Schedule 3 Line 10. The amount from Schedule 3 Part II Line 15 flows to Form 1040 Line 31

bdk2

I have done all of those steps, and while the TT interview questions show the amount paid with extension as entered, they are NOT flowing through those payments as made on Schedule 3 (line 10 and line 15), and nothing is flowing through to Form 1040 Line 31. So it looks like I did not pay it, even though I mailed in the check and the IRS cashed it long ago. Is there a way to "override" Schedule 3 or Form 1040 to show the amount paid with the extension?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies