Randman

Form 1041 Fiduciary Fees Deduction?

I'm filling out a 1041 Form. My attorney itemized several fees in addition to his fees that he paid. Such as Court costs, Personal Representative's Bond, etc. Can I include these in the "Professional, accounting, and tax prep fees" section under Deductions?

And, I'm also not seeing much guidance on what to do with "Taxable income only" versus "Tax-exempt income only". Or how I would know.

The IRS publication 559 is pretty useless on helping with these two items.

Thanks in advance,

Randy

tagteam

Form 1041 Fiduciary Fees Deduction?

@Randman wrote:

Such as Court costs, Personal Representative's Bond, etc. Can I include these in the "Professional, accounting, and tax prep fees" section under Deductions?

Yes, those expenses would be deductible by the estate since they would not have been incurred by a hypothetical individual.

@Randman wrote:

And, I'm also not seeing much guidance on what to do with "Taxable income only" versus "Tax-exempt income only". 

You simply need to allocate the expenses between taxable income and tax-exempt income. For example, if you had $50 in expenses, $100 in taxable income, and $100 in tax-exempt income, you would allocate $25 of the expenses to taxable income and $25 in expenses to tax-exempt income.

tagteam

Form 1041 Fiduciary Fees Deduction?

@Randman wrote:

@Randman wrote: