turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mid-south

Adopted Child - Changed name but not SSN

We adopted a child and changed his name, but didn't report it to the Soc Sec Admin. Tax return was rejected because name and SSN doesn't match. Do we need to contact the SSA and have them update their records and issue a new SS card?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

For the purpose of getting the tax return filed, you needed to use the name that matches the SS card.  Going forward, if you changed your child's name, then of course you need to contact Social Security and update everything.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jade2082

I had the same issue with adoption credit.  I didn't report my adopted child's new name to the SSA and the IRS rejected my tax return last year.  Can I reclaim what the IRS rejected?

You can amend the return to get the credit that was disallowed. Make sure to send a letter of explanation with the 1040X so they don't deny it again just to be safe.

You need to use whatever name the SSA has on file, that's what IRS matches with.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

File the return now using the name on the SS card and change it later before next tax season.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies