Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

alany11

Filing with my married name but my maiden name is on W2, how do I change the last name?

I filed my taxes with my wife original last name, even though she changed on her Social security to my last name, is this going to cause a problem. 

Last year we filed our taxes on her original last name.  she changed this year to my last name.  

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Filing with my married name but my maiden name is on W2, how do I change the last name?

@alany11

The issue of the last name comes up at e-filing time.

The IRS gets a copy of the Social Security Administration's database before tax season and checks each SS number on tax returns against the last names.

In your case, I would not be surprised if your return were rejected in e-filing. Please see this TurboTax FAQ if you want to check the status of a return that you e-filed.

If your return was rejected, then re-open TurboTax, go into your return, change her last name, then e-file as if it were for the first time.

If your return was not rejected, well, OK. But if you are sure that she changed her name with the SSA, then be sure to use her new name next tax season.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kjgtax

I got married in October but I don't think I changed my SSN to my married name until Jan. 2020. I started filing under my married name because that's what is currently attached to my SSN, but not sure if that's correct. . .

@Kjgtax wrote:

I got married in October but I don't think I changed my SSN to my married name until Jan. 2020. I started filing under my married name because that's what is currently attached to my SSN, but not sure if that's correct. . .

On your tax return you enter the name that is on your current Social Security card.  The name on the tax return and the name on the W-2 do not have to match.  Only the Social Security numbers.

u0107506

In 2018 I file married jointly with my husband but I chose not to change my name due to work purposes. On Turbo review it asked me to fill out the AGI for me and then my husband. What do I do?

aurea1152
Returning Member

i dont understand the message i  continue to get . it rejects my name as it appears my social security card .

it is AUREA 

AND MY SS# IS [social security number removed]

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

If you verified that the info you entered is correct and you e-file again, the IRS e-file servers will almost certainly reject your return for the same reason. In this case, your only option is to paper-file (mail) your return. See the attached TurboTax FAQ for more information: E-file rejections related to incorrect or duplicated names, birth dates, or Social Security numbers

so my married name is on my w2 and my ID drives license but my maiden name is on my social security card and it keeps rejecting my info to file my taxes because of the names not matching I don't know what to do I need help so I can file my taxes 

@Elisedodsonarmstrong  wrote:

so my married name is on my w2 and my ID drives license but my maiden name is on my social security card and it keeps rejecting my info to file my taxes because of the names not matching I don't know what to do I need help so I can file my taxes 

On your tax return enter the name that is on the Social Security card in the My Info section of the TurboTax online edition you are using.  This should stop the e-filed tax return from being rejected.

atrob325

my wife recently changed her name to my last name and has a new SSN with my last name as well as a passport, however, her W-2 still reflects her maiden name. we will be filing jointly and are wondering if we have to wait to file our taxes and get a new W-2 with her new last name before we can submit. we are both active duty military and will be trying to file our taxes soon

BillM223
Expert Alumni

No, enter the W-2 exactly as printed. It happens all the time that there are name or address differences, and it actually helps when the W-2 you enter matches the copy of the IRS already got from the employer. 

One issue that may happen is that when you e-file, the return may be rejected because the IRS doesn't have an entry from the Social Security Administration with her new name and SS number. I don't know when the IRS gets the list of taxpayer names and SS numbers, but there is bound to be a period of time when you can try to e-file after her name is changed with the SSA but before the updated information makes it to the IRS.

Well, go ahead and e-file, and if there is a reject, come back to us about it.

@atrob325

baystlove

@atrob325 did your return get rejected? I'm facing a similar situation and my company can't get a new W2 until after the deadline. Did you end up just filling it out with her W2 information as is? 

HopeS
Expert Alumni

Your return should not be rejected if you use your married name on the return. The IRS matches your information with SSA. Therefore, if you made the name change with SSA, then this is the name you should show on your return.

See the extract below from the IRS website regarding the name change:

"When you file your return, check that both your name and SSN agree with your social security card to prevent any delays in processing your return and issuing any refunds"

Name Changes & Social Security Number

Here is another useful link on married filing jointly

Married filing jointly or separately

@baystlove 

baystlove

@HopeS thank you! So just to triple check (sorry!), I can efile with my maiden name on my W2 but use my married name on the return (which matches my SS card)? 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Yes

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies