turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing with LTD and SSDI income, few questions.

My husband is on Long Term Disability.  He is paid through a LTD disability plan from work and also gets SSDI from Social Security for part of the year in 2019. He will also have a W2 for the months he worked.

When filing taxes what forms do I need to search for and make sure are filled out to account for the disability pay?

And if we itemized medical bills, what percent of your AGI income do they need to be in order to claim them,  and is there anything else related that we can claim like gas and such for medical appointments ect?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You will have several income documents to enter on your 2019 tax return.  You enter the W-2 in Federal>Wages & Income, as usual.  

For the Social Security Disability, you will receive a SSSA1099.  

Do not try to enter your SSA1099  or RR1099RB as a W-2.  Go to Federal> Wages & Income>>Retirement Plans and Social Security  (SSA1099 and 1099RRB) to enter your SSA1099.

As for the other disability income, you should receive some sort of document in January for that--but not sure if it will be a 1099 or a W-2 since it is from a plan at work.  You may need to post back at tax time for help with that one if it unclear then where to enter it.

Whether the disability income is taxable depends on who paid for the disability insurance,

Disability Income

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901145-is-disability-income-taxable

The medical expenses you have paid in 2019 can be entered as itemized deductions in the medical expense section,  and you can include mileage for driving to and from medical appointments and procedures as a medical expense in that section.  The interview screens will guide you to enter your mileage.

MEDICAL EXPENSES

The medical expense deduction has to meet a rather large threshold before it can affect your return. The amount of medical (including dental, vision, etc.)  expenses that will count toward itemization is the amount that is OVER 10% of your adjusted gross income. You should only enter the amount that you paid in 2019—do not include any amounts that were covered by insurance or that are still outstanding. Of course, your medical expenses plus your other itemized deductions still have to exceed your standard deduction before you will see a difference in your tax due or refund.

To enter your medical expenses go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Medical>Medical Expenses

2019 Standard Deduction Amounts

Single                                      $12,200  (+ $1650 65 or older)

Married Filing Separately      $12,200   (+ $1650 if 65 or older)

Married Filing Jointly         $24,400   (+ $1300 for each spouse 65 or older)

Head of Household           $18,350  (+ $1650 for 65 or older)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You will have several income documents to enter on your 2019 tax return.  You enter the W-2 in Federal>Wages & Income, as usual.  

For the Social Security Disability, you will receive a SSSA1099.  

Do not try to enter your SSA1099  or RR1099RB as a W-2.  Go to Federal> Wages & Income>>Retirement Plans and Social Security  (SSA1099 and 1099RRB) to enter your SSA1099.

As for the other disability income, you should receive some sort of document in January for that--but not sure if it will be a 1099 or a W-2 since it is from a plan at work.  You may need to post back at tax time for help with that one if it unclear then where to enter it.

Whether the disability income is taxable depends on who paid for the disability insurance,

Disability Income

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901145-is-disability-income-taxable

The medical expenses you have paid in 2019 can be entered as itemized deductions in the medical expense section,  and you can include mileage for driving to and from medical appointments and procedures as a medical expense in that section.  The interview screens will guide you to enter your mileage.

MEDICAL EXPENSES

The medical expense deduction has to meet a rather large threshold before it can affect your return. The amount of medical (including dental, vision, etc.)  expenses that will count toward itemization is the amount that is OVER 10% of your adjusted gross income. You should only enter the amount that you paid in 2019—do not include any amounts that were covered by insurance or that are still outstanding. Of course, your medical expenses plus your other itemized deductions still have to exceed your standard deduction before you will see a difference in your tax due or refund.

To enter your medical expenses go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Medical>Medical Expenses

2019 Standard Deduction Amounts

Single                                      $12,200  (+ $1650 65 or older)

Married Filing Separately      $12,200   (+ $1650 if 65 or older)

Married Filing Jointly         $24,400   (+ $1300 for each spouse 65 or older)

Head of Household           $18,350  (+ $1650 for 65 or older)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you for kindly answering the first question. I have 2 followup questions.

1.) I just received a Form SSA-1099 Social Security Disability Benefits "Statement".  It is just one copy. And it says Do NOT send this with tax returns, it's for my records.  I am Mailing in my tax return and assumed it would have 4 copies like a W2. One to mail to fed, one to state, one to city, and a copy to keep. Can you please explain, as I assume fed state and city ALL need a copy of this SSA-1099 along with any W'2 to report all income.  Is it possible this is just a statement for my records and I will get another type of Official SSA-1099 that i DO attach to tax returns. I did pay in fed taxes.

2.) I also received a W2 from the Metlife Disability income received. But there are only 3 copies. One to keep, one says for Federal, one says for the state. Why is there no copy for city on this one? Sorry this is so confusing.

Yes you can make copies.  You only need to attach the SSA-1099 if it shows federal withholding on it.  That will be in the big box on the right side.

This form says Form SSA-1099-SM Social Security Benefit Statement.  Just now see it says to keep for records, do not return to the IRS, do not attach to income tax returns? So I wonder if this one is just for records and I get another SSA-1099 from them for when I file taxes? So confused.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies