Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Filing taxes

Okay I recently just started working in September so should I still file taxes this year and I go to school so how much would I get back in 

3 Replies
Level 15

Filing taxes

Each tax year you file a return either if you are REQUIRED to do so  OR   if you have a REASON to do so like getting a refund or  a form that needs to be filed even if otherwise not required to file.


Take a look at the following TurboTax article to see what your income requirement would be:


Do I need to file a Federal return this year?

Level 15

Filing taxes

Is this your first job and first tax return?


When you get your W-2 in January--look in box 2.  If your employer withheld federal tax then you can file a tax return to seek a refund of that money.  If there is state tax in box 17, you can file a state return to seek a state refund.  We cannot tell you how much (if anything) you will get back.  We do not know how much money you earned or how much tax was withheld from your pay.  You will find out when you prepare a tax return.  If you are a full-time student under the age of 24 make sure on your own tax return that you say you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.


If you are a student you can very likely use the Free Edition or Free File.  Free File becomes available in mid-January.


If you qualify to use it, there is another full-featured free version of the software:

Try Free File: 

You qualify if your income was $36,000 or less, or $69,000 or less if active duty military, or if you qualify for Earned Income Credit

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Opus 17
Level 15

Filing taxes

If you are single and over age 18, you are required to file a tax return if you have more than $12,400 of taxable income.  If you have less income than that, you can still file a return if you want to, and if you have tax withholding, you can file a return to get a refund, since the withholding will probably be more than your tax due.


If your income comes from self-employment, you are required to file if you have net profit of more than $400.  


If you are 18 or less and can be claimed as a dependent by your parents, your filing requirement may be lower, especially if you have income from investments.


You can use this tool to check if you need to file.


If you attend college and pay your own tuition and are not your parent's dependent, you might qualify for a small credit, but the size of the credit will depend on how much money you earn from working.  We can't really predict anything without knowing all your financial details so the best thing to do may be to start preparing a return and see what happens.  If you aren't required to file and won't get any credits, you can stop the process without actually filing. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings