Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing as a Head of Household, mother is dependend, didn't live with spouse who has no SSN/ITIN, can't get through "Personal info needs review"

I am filing as a Head of Household, my mother is my dependent, my spouse is a foreign citizen and I didn't live with her from July 2019. I entered [social security number removed] as my spouse SSN, then went all the way to file and downloaded PDF tax return. I don't see my spouse name or the fake SSN mentioned anywhere on the tax return. I also tried to change status to "single" and then back to "married" and now it always says "personal info needs review" and shows me the form with my spouse name, date of birth and SSN. Whatever I enter in that form it still says "needs review", there are no messages, no clarification what exactly needs review. I tried different made up SSNs, I tried changing names and dob, still "needs review". Please help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Filing as a Head of Household, mother is dependend, didn't live with spouse who has no SSN/ITIN, can't get through "Personal info needs review"

If you are filing as a head of household, your spouse would not appear on your tax return.

When you change several things on your tax return, it can sometimes result in error messages getting stuck in the program. I suggest you clear the return and start over as follows:

1. Look for the "Tax Tools" option on your left menu bar in TurboTax and click on it

2. Find the "Tools" option and click on it

3. Look for "Clear & Start Over " in the menu of options and click on that option to start your return over

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If you are filing as a head of household, your spouse would not appear on your tax return.

When you change several things on your tax return, it can sometimes result in error messages getting stuck in the program. I suggest you clear the return and start over as follows:

1. Look for the "Tax Tools" option on your left menu bar in TurboTax and click on it

2. Find the "Tools" option and click on it

3. Look for "Clear & Start Over " in the menu of options and click on that option to start your return over

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your response!

I didn't try to start over, instead I went straight to "file" and even though it complained about the missing info, I successfully e-filed my returns and they were accepted. So this missing info wasn't required to file. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies