Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did my less than 1 year old son qualify for a "credit for other dependends" vs "Child Tax Credit"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Why did my less than 1 year old son qualify for a "credit for other dependends" vs "Child Tax Credit"?

Look over how you answered the questions very carefully.

CTC and COD

Stephy_1109
Returning Member

I’m in the same boat and I already did my taxes. Tried calling the IRS to fix this problem but no answer 

MayaD
Expert Alumni

If your son was born in 2019, make sure to select that he lived with you the whole year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Stephy_1109
Returning Member

I don’t think I clicked the whole year. How can I fix this?

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

If your child has an ITIN instead of a SSN, then your child would only qualify for the "credit for other dependents".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My son was born December 2018.  I just checked my tax forms (submitted back in February) and, for whatever reason, my 1040 shows taking the "credit for other dependents" option.  I don't specifically recall making a decision when filing taxes, so why would TurboTax have gone with this option?

I started looking in to this when I realized I didn't receive the dependent credit as part of my economic stimulus payment.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

@pcboiler   Are you asking about your 2018 or 1029 tax return? If 2018, what is the exact amount on line 12a of your 1040? If 2019, what is the exact amount on line 13a of your 1040? 

2019...13a is 500.

@pcboiler wrote:

2019...13a is 500.

In the My Info section you are asked a series of questions concerning the dependent you are entering.  

Did you enter the dependent as your child?  Did you indicate the dependent lived with you for the entire year, as noted on the page for entering the number of months lived with you if the child was born in 2019?  Did you enter that the dependent did not provide for over one-half of their own support?  Did you enter that no one else in the home provided support to the dependent?  

Looks like I made a very costly mistake on my returns by choosing "1 month" instead of "Full Year".   I'm getting this corrected ASAP!

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies