Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing a deceased child as my dependent on my taxes if I was the beneficiary of his life insurance .

Hi all!

My mother was the beneficiary of my child's life insurance policy, my child lived with me throughout the entire year up to his death (11/29/22). Who files him on their taxes? Me or my mother.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Filing a deceased child as my dependent on my taxes if I was the beneficiary of his life insurance .

Very sorry for your loss.   The fact that someone was the beneficiary of the insurance does not mean they can claim your son as a dependent.   If your child lived with you for most of 2022 and you provided over half of his support then you can claim him as  a dependent on your tax return.

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3113432-who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My mother was the beneficiary of my child's life insurance policy, my child lived with me throughout the entire year up to his death (11/29/22).   YOU DO since the child lived with you then you are the custodial parent per IRS rules.     Who gets the payout of a non taxable life insurance policy is immaterial as to who claims the decedent.

Thank you both for your responses. 

@latisvaugh2422733 

sorry for your loss...when you file the tax return and it asks how long the child lived with you, choose 'the whole year'.  that is the correct response in this circumstance. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies