Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing 2023 taxes for deceased parent who died in January 2024

Using TurboTax Deluxe, I checked the deceased box, and entered my name as preparer.  When e-filing Federal return for payment due, do I use his driver license info or mine?  Do I sign the form with my own name?  I have already e-filed my own taxes using my info/license #.  When filing state, I will make a contribution equal to his refund so there is no refund due, so I don't need a form 1310, right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should use his driver's license, since it is his return. 

You may not need to physically sign the return if you can e-file it. If you do have to do a pen and ink signature, sign you own name and write "For (his name)" underneath, or next to it. 

Form 1310 is only required  when there is a refund, so you shouldn't need that form. 

I am sorry for your loss. If you need additional help, or have more questions, TurboTax is here to help. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much!   I'm thinking 2024 taxes for him will be easy since he only made a couple thousand dollars before he passed.  Do I even need to file in 2025, or will I need to in order to signify a 'final return' ?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

You will need to file to advise of the Final return.  In general, file and prepare the final individual income tax return of a deceased person the same way you would if the person were alive. Report all income up to the date of death and claim all eligible credits and deductions.

File the Final Income Tax Returns of a Deceased Person

@Posh-with-a-long-O 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rsypen

Question: My mom just passed away 2/23/2024. Do I file her return "normally," for 2023? Will I notify the IRS on her 2024 return? The only in come she will have in 2024 will be 2 ss payments, 2 pension payments, and a 2024 rmd around 10k. Thank you!

TomD8
Level 15

"Do I file her return "normally," for 2023? Will I notify the IRS on her 2024 return?"

Yes, and yes.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies